19 February 2006

a walk at noon - just over 2 miles

This afternoon, I decided it was time to get off my couch and get outside. It was 60°, very overcast, and a bit windy. I took a 50-minute walk down to the bridges.



Holly Hill is a city just to the north of Daytona Beach. When we were first looking for homes up here, we were told by those in-the-know to stay away from Holly Hill. "Avoid it like the plague," they said. It is... how can I say this politely... the bad part of town. BUT, we live in the unofficial historical section of Holly Hill, east of US-1. It's very nice, and not at all scary:)



Here's a view from under the bridges. One in each direction, connecting the beach area to the mainland. My goal is to eventually walk over these bridges all the way to the beach and back. But we must start small...


Under the bridges are a little boardwalk and pier, but getting to them reminded me of a crime scene. There are nice sidewalks near the road. Then you come to a sign that says "Boardwalk and Pier funded by" blah blah blah. But then there's just rocks and sand and it looks like an empty lot; once you cross that, there's the boardwalk and pier. While I was crossing the lot, there was a car parked off to the side. At first, I didn't think anyone was in it, but then I saw a woman in the front passenger seat. No driver, just a passenger. I thought he must be fishing, but no, there wasn't anyone else there but her and me.



What I did find was this sweatshirt in the trashcan at the end of the pier. I wondered for a moment if this belonged to the driver of the car and that maybe the woman threw him in the water because he had turned abusive...



...after drinking all these beers. But she stayed in the car for a bit to compose herself and think of a story to explain his disap- pearance.



The man, of course, was swept away by the swift current, and will wash ashore somewhere down south.




But then again, maybe she was just sitting there taking a nap waiting for the Daytona 500 to commence.


Next time, I hope it will be a bit sunnier so that I can take some pictures that aren't quite so dreary...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home