18 June 2006

catching up on the last week...

Today is a rainy, dismal Sunday in Daytona Beach. Don't get me wrong, we NEED this rain. I am good and tired of hearing about brush fires and subsequent road closures, so RAIN IS GOOD. But. It would've been nice to take a drive in the Beetle up the coast a bit, for lunch and to see the sights... Oh well, another day.

It is hard to believe but when I woke up just one week ago, it was about 50°. Mind you, I was in Connecticut participating in the MMRF
Race for Research. A proud member of Pop's Posse, I was tired by the time I completed the 5k, but the weather had improved dramatically and it was sunny and warm and beautiful. The team raised over $8500 and had 29 people and a dog walking in support of Pops - my uncle Paul.

Later that evening, I flew for a somber visit to Welland, Ontario, for the funeral of my dad's only brother. It was a quick turnaround - we were back to CT the next day - and it was a less-than-ideal circumstance, but it was very nice to see that side of my family. I think of them often and wish that Ontario and Florida were just a little closer together...

Then I was home. I had been offered a job before I left for CT - I accepted - but now I had to clear the background check. This is not a problem (no matter what you might think is hiding in my closet) so I was anxious to get started. But here I am, almost a week later, and I have not stepped foot into the building. Seems the Florida Dept of Juvenile Justice is dragging its feet and we are still awaiting results. Though I am assured it has absolutely NOTHING to do with me personally. We hope...

Yesterday, I woke up early and took a walk on the beach (though, I must admit, not TO the beach). I came across a lone shoe, a black stiletto sandal, discarded on the sand without its mate. I wondered about the circumstances of how it got there, and in the midst of my pondering, stumbled upon what appeared to be a (removed) silicon breast implant. I wondered, could this belong to the owner of the shoe? And where is the rest of this unfortunate woman? Soon, I found another implant. And then another! The beach was riddled with them! DUH - they weren't implants at all! They were moon jellyfish!

Later that morning, the Central Florida VW Club held a picnic for both members and non-members. We drove the Beetle over and sat in the sun. And mingled with other local enthusiasts while sitting in the sun. And ate while sitting in the sun. Did I mention we sat in the sun? As you can imagine, our faces are a wee bit red today! Maybe it's kinda good that I don't have to report for duty tomorrow...

And then today, I woke up early to take a walk. At almost the 1-mile mark, I was attacked by a male Red Winged Blackbird. Unbeknownst to me, there must have been a nest in a palm tree on the bank of the river, because before I knew it, this little guy was screeching and dive-bombing me! Crazy! A bit further down the path and I found the bunnies that I thought had disappeared. There were four of them nibbling on the grass and clover and whatever else they could find. See John? I knew you didn't eat them all along!


And now I'm here, in the house watching World Cup matches, annoyed by the rain, but also glad for it. Just a lazy, lazy Sunday.

4 Comments:

At 19/6/06 8:28 AM, Blogger Kimie said...

I thought at first that your bird was going to be a UFO. That is what I get for not making the pic bigger!

 
At 19/6/06 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know why some women have had their silicone breast implants removed: they were getting stung inside their boobs by the remmants of the jellyfish tentacles! That cheap plastic surgeon...isn't he the guy who walks the beach every morning with a food scale and a box of plastic bags? I think his motto is "Your breasts will be all..natural and as soft
as...jelly."
And yeh, I caught my breath for a moment...is that a UFO, I thought? Please don't let MUFON or SETI or Sceptic magazine get copies of that photo, because both sides will promote their beliefs with it!
And those cute little bunnies could carry Rabies, so be careful!

 
At 19/6/06 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.
Good for you, being part of Pop's Posse, and sorry about your MO Emery. And best of luck with the job...hope you're sitting at your desk real soon!

 
At 19/6/06 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Love your blogs; just like being there myself. Was so happy to see you over the weekend; sorry about your uncle. Things were so busy and quick on weekend we didn't have much time to visit, but so great to see you anyway! Love, emilie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home